Streets of Marquette University: Wisconsin Avenue
Wisconsin is one of the Milwaukee’s original streets, first named Wisconsin Street in 1835. The street name switched to Grand Avenue in 1876. When Johnston Hall opened in 1906, Marquette University hailed from a Grand Avenue address. The city’s street renaming program brought back the Wisconsin name in 1926, rechristening the thoroughfare as Wisconsin Avenue.
Caption source: Milwaukee Streets: The Stories Behind Their Names by Carl Baehr. Part of the Streets of Marquette University photo series (1 of 7).